ALL ARMSTRONG ATHLETICS FAMILIES:
This communication is to provide an update on the status of Armstrong Athletics 2020 Spring Baseball and Softball programs.
In our State of Pennsylvania, it has been ordered by the Governor’s Office that no organized sports activities are permitted until counties enter the “Green Phase.” After consulting with State and Local Officials, it is possible that this may not happen until late in the summer, but no definitive timeline has been presented.
As you may have seen Little League International has cancelled the 2020 Little League World Series and now recently cancelled all District, Section and State All-Star Tournaments. PONY Baseball has cancelled their World Series as well as all local, Regional and Zone Tournaments. We have consulted with numerous other local league Presidents, Little League Eastern Regional, our Little League District 26 Administrator, PONY Baseball Zone Coordinator and representatives of the Alle-Kiski ASA Softball League. The Little League District 26 Board of Directors have recommended cancelling all Little League District 26 programs for the Spring Season. Within our District 26, the majority, if not all organizations at this point are following suit, which would mean no inter-league play would be possible even if our programs were to continue. Many other Districts within the State of PA are issuing similar edicts.
Compounding these issues is a substantial conflict in regards to insurance coverage at all levels of play, including Little League, PONY Baseball and USA Softball. Since this is unchartered territory, we have been instructed that signed waivers would be required by all parents of participating children, which include the waiving of substantial rights. Our League insurance providers have instructed us that no coverage would be provided in the specific instance that someone encounters health issues as a result of COVID-19 exposure due to organized sports activities conducted by our League.
As an organization, we are awaiting additional information which will be provided on Monday, May 11, 2020. This is the date when Little League International is to issue additional guidance. Our Board of Directors have decided we will announce the decision as to the fate of our Spring Season programs on this date. If the 2020 Spring Season is cancelled, we will continue to consult with the National Organizations, our member Districts, and other local leagues as it relates to our organizations’ ability to provide possible future summer activities when permitted by our State.
Thank you for your continued patience and understanding through this uncertain time! Please stay safe and we wish you and your families continued good health!
Armstrong Athletics Board of Directors